The Ghost Town of Allenton, Missouri

Allenton founded in 1890, was a small railroad community located along the Old Route 66 Highway. Once a thriving community, Allenton started to decline as the area surrounding the town began to develop. Economic shifts forced Allenton to become a community of mainly low-income housing. In 1973, St. Louis County declared the Town of Allenton blighted, and in 1985 St. Louis County allowed the City of Eureka to annex the dying community. In 2006 St. Louis County and the City of Eureka claimed that the former community didn't generate